Monday, December 5, 2011

DIY Glitter Ornaments

I have noticed that having your own home makes decorating for the holidays a lot more enjoyable, but decorations can be expensive!  Sunday we woke up with the plan of completing the final holiday home decoration, getting a Christmas Tree.  Growing up in my house, as in many homes I assume, we put the tree up and spent time decorating it together.  Well if anyone knows my Husband, you know that if the Redskins are on, no matter how bad they are, he is still watching every second of that game.  I decided that we would put the tree off until next weekend because I in fact was not equipped with enough decorations for this tree anyways.
Which leads me to my latest DIY craft, Glitter Ornaments!
I was inspired by my latest trip to Crate&Barrell where they have huge stations set up with hundreds of ornaments to choose from!  This set of 3 adorable ornaments were going for $8.95.  I decided to check out a few other blogs and found how to make my very own, super glittery ornaments at home for a lot less than $8.95!
Crate & Barrell
Set of 3 Flurry Ball Green Ornaments

I went to Michaels Craft Store (my guilty pleasure), and bought an 8 pack of clear ornaments and some Martha Stewart FINE Glitter.  I read that I needed some floor cleaner and that the Pledge Floor Care Finish with the Blue Cap was the best one to use.  Other than that all you need is a funnel (or a cut envelope to make your own) and q-tips.  The supplies were probably $20 total, but once you have the glitter and floor cleaner you will make an 8 pack of ornaments for about $4.00!!

Take the top off the ornament, squirt some floor cleaner in the ornament, and swirl it around gently as to not create bubbles on the sides until the inside is coated.
Pour the rest back in the bottle and use the q-tip to get rid of any bubbles you may have created. 

Use the funnel to pour glitter in the ornaments.  Use a lot, you will pour the left over back in the bottle anyways.  Shake it around gently and coat the inside completely. 


Dump the remainder back in the bottle by tapping it gently. 
Place the top back on and you have gorgeous homemade glittery ornaments for super cheap! I will be headed back to Michaels today to pick up more boxes of the clear ornaments to fill our tree next weekend!



After the game Adam and I spent the afternoon building our first fire in our new fireplace!  Which of course called for the opening of another bottle of wine given to us at my Bridal Shower!  Thanks Ali and Brandon!

 Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment